Sunday, October 5, 2008

The things of the heart






Everywhere I go, I love to talk to people.Theres something epic about talking to a person and for a brief moment, seeing into their life and what their story is about. To see as they see. This is why I take pictures. For the aestetic but also for the that moment- that moment when you can see someone, and I mean truly see them, through the photograph. Whatever it may be- small, grand or unique- I take pictures of people in hopes that I can record their true self.
For example, this is the King of Baseball- I met him at the flea market last Saturday. Through a quick glance, I could see that he is a collector of fine things- a detective of the past, someone who sees what others through away as treasure. Hes a historian hidden under glasses.
Hes the reason I take pictures. Another is the gentleman who sells honey, cane syrup and other goodness in a small town outside Wakulla. His simple truck is passed by everyday. His war hat tells a story, the scars on his face tell a story, but its hidden behind the simple job of selling honey. Taking a photograph that tells more than what it may seem in the beginning is the reason I take pictures.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How did I not know about this blog!!!!!



You've captured him so well. Great lighting, especially on his hand reading the book.