Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Heat, red and mangos
































For the first time since I was a child time literaly seemed to stand still. I just returned from a 5 day trip to Nicaragua where I tried new foods, sat under mango trees, slept in hammocks, hugged children and road waves. I felt as if somehow I lost my blonde hair and white skin and slipped into another culture . That for a few days, I saw what it was like to live in another world with a different family and life. I found joy, simplicity, gratitude , love and my own thoughts. For most of the time, I was mute. I couldn't speak well enough for others to understand me and half of the time I couldn't understand others- so I was left to simply soak in the moments with my own mind. Clear and open to explore my own thoughts. It was refreshing to just be silent within the hussle of life.
Then I found communciating didn't need words but just sweet , simple smiles . This was a magical tool that allowed me to see into other's lives and capture images that I have always dreamed of. It also lead me to have a tickle fight with a 3 year old, to make muscles with some 7 year olds and make friends without words. Each person was just as vast as the landscape- from deserts to volcanos, to beaches and big cities- each region had a story , each person's eyes told a different hope.
Over that entire time, I found a new part of me ready to eat the world and to become the person who can savor moments without letting them pass me by. To realize, that I am incredibly blessed with opportunities that allow me to live my dreams .
Now its up to me.

1 comment:

Alyssa Higgins said...

You are so talented!! I just wanted to let you know I posted a link to your blog on mine. Also, HAPPY BIRTHDAY lady!! :)Luv ya!